800HR Integrated Yoga Therapeutics
A modern perspective and approach for those looking to integrate yoga and wellness concepts for specialty groups and private sessions.
As “yoga therapy” enters the mainstream, concerns about scope of practice and teaching methods become more prevalent. Yoga teachers, however, are continually expected to work with clients/students to either prevent injury, or to guide them through asana after they’ve completed rehab. The more information on pathology, adaptation, recovery, pain science, and trauma sensitivity a teacher has, the better they are equipped to manage the gratifying responsibility of working with any population.
Our integrated Yoga therapeutics program is a synergistic blend of many alternative health care focused practices fused with yoga and functional movement paradigms in order to create a program that compliments traditional healthcare practices. We do not diagnose or treat specific illness, and injuries, rather learn to work alongside our client’s medical professionals and licensed health-care team. in order to create more optimal states of well-being.
We believe that yoga, much like nutrition and fitness is an effective form of preventative medicine and self-care and therefore have created this 800HR course as a credible program designed to train yoga teachers in various therapeutic modalities. This program effectively trains yoga teachers to work with specialty populations as well as enhance their skills working one-on-one, including developing therapeutic relationships, setting goals, encouraging compliance, motivation, program design and more. Advance your education and experience in order to develop comprehensive tools that allow you to guide your clients/students in becoming engaged and inspired in their own health and vitality.
Potential students are experienced yoga teachers, movement teachers, therapists and body workers with a desire to create holistic treatment plans for individuals and special populations that address common health issues and enhance vitality, recognizing the importance of mind, body, emotions and spirit on wellness.
800HR (1000HR when combined with the required 200HR) Yoga Therapeutics program develops a thorough understanding of all the systems in the body and how they coalesce and create vitality in a state of equilibrium, however when out of balance may lead to various illnesses, injuries and fatigue.We have collaborated with many health care professionals including physiotherapists, psychologists, registered nurses, movement therapists and manual therapists to bring you the most integrated and effective program. Our main instructors are Psychotherapists, Physiotherapists, Registered nurses and massage therapists who in addition to having professional backgrounds have been practicing and teaching yoga and mindfulness for decades.
We do not teach any specific style or linage. Instead we introduce many traditions, philosophies and tools that empower our students to adapt the practice to any client regardless of age, gender, religion, shape or size. We encourage our teachers to first and foremost listen to and observe their clients without judgement, honour their intuition and at the same time apply the concepts learned in the course in order to empower their clients to discover greater health and vitality.
A measure of a great Integrated Yoga Therapeutics leader is not how many clients you have, or how much you know, rather it is in your ability to educate your client and inspire them to create lasting health and happiness through compassionate curiosity and integration.
Upon completion students will be granted a 1000HR Integrated Yoga Therapeutics Specialist Certificate
Our Integrated Yoga Therapeutics is an 800HR yoga program requiring a minimum of two years for completion. The program is self-paced and allows for optimal time for absorption of the material. It is required that all students have completed a 200HR prior to entering into this program. (including the 200HR the completion of this program means that you have completed 1000 HRS formal Yoga education)
Following the completion of the program students will
- Have an understanding of the “roots” of yoga and yoga philosophy as well as the context from which these philosophies were created.
- Extract meaning from the ancient philosophies in order to make it relevant and empowering for their students.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of yoga as it relates to overall health and vitality.
- Understand the interconnectedness of the body, mind, emotions and spirit and how to integrate and access these layers through movement and meditation.
- Understand the intersections of modern psychology, stress, mental illness, lifestyle and traditional theories about mindfulness, self-compassion and meditation.
- Understand structural anatomy and basic physiology.
- Understand common injuries, illnesses and imbalances and how to use yoga as therapy.
- Modify yoga asana and sequencing to individual client needs.
- Understand how to create classes for special populations including: Athletes, Seniors, Trauma sensitive yoga and more.
- Integrate modern movement paradigm such as strength training, cardiovascular training, and foam rolling in order to create balanced programs.
- Apply a basic knowledge of Ayurveda to create lifestyle suggestions.
- Understand the effects and benefits of relaxation response and how nidra, restorative yoga, mantra, body scans and meditation may be used to facilitate it.
- Apply a basic knowledge of psychology and meditation to create meditation suggestions
- Apply a basic knowledge of respiratory system and pranayama to create pranayama suggestion
- Conduct a comprehensive client intake and assessment
- Develop and understand the importance of active listening.
- Understanding the difference between listening, encouraging, coaching and advising.
- Understand the scope of practice: when to refer and how to create referrals.
- Understand pain from many different perspectives.
- Learn to create networks and referrals with other health care practitioners
- Investigate and critically examine research as it relates to yoga therapy, nutrition and lifestyle.
- 400 HRS Core 25HR weekend modules (16)
- 75 HRS BEology Mindfulness Based Wellness (10 week online course, retreat and 25HR BEology Meditation and Mindfulness)
- 125 HRS Electives (specialty courses like Yin, Prenatal, Kids, Somatic Stress Release and other courses)
- 50 HRS Self directed study and research (research in a field of interest)
- 150 HRS Practicum
Core Weekend modules (16) 400 HRS
- 25HR Advanced Anatomy 1: Joint Communities
- 25HR Enlighten: Fascia, myo-fascial meridians and movement
- 25 HR Advanced Yoga Philosophy
- 25HR Postures to Prayers: Asana refinement, modifications and deeper meaning
- 25HR Movement Medicine: Intelligent Sequencing
- 25 HR Mind-Body-Energy: Pranayama, Mantra, Pratayahara and Psychology
- 25HR Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- 25HR Yoga for Athletes
- 25HR Sustainable Yoga: Yoga and Aging
- 25 HR Restorative Yoga (online or in person)
- 25HR Yoga Nidra
- 25HR Yoga for Pain Care
- 25HR Integrated Yoga & Wellness 1: Applied Biomechanics (This module was formerly offered as 50HR Yoga Prehab)
- 25HR Integrated Yoga & Wellness 2: Applied Physiology & Pathology
- 25HR Integrated Yoga & Wellness 3:Yoga & Mental Health
- 25HR Integrated Yoga & Wellness 4 Practice: Compassionate curiosity, non-judgmental listening, program design and professional practice (This module was formerly offered as 50HR Yoga Prehab)
BEology Mindfulness Based Wellness (3) 75HRS
- BEology:10 week Life Practice (in person or online)
- BEology Retreat (2 offered per year)
- BEology Guiding Meditation & Mindfulness (in person or online)
Elective Modules 125HRS
- 20HR, 30HR or 50HR Yin
- 25HR, 50HR or 75 HR Prenatal
- 25HR, 50HR or 100 HR Empowered Youth Yoga & Mindfulness
- 25-50HR Ayurveda
- 20HR Reiki 1 & 11
- 25HR Yoga Nidra level 2
- 50HR Somatic Stress Relief
- Specialty workshops
Research and Design 50HRS
- Student designs and completes a 12-week study on topic of choice
- Student completes an academic research paper on the topic above
Practicum & Mentorship150HRS
150 HRS Practical teaching one on one, assignments, presentations and observations documented in addition to practical mentorship
In order to apply for this program you must have completed a 200Hr Teacher Training from a recognized school and have atleast 1 year experience teaching yoga.
If you have taken our 500HR program (additional 300HRS on top of 200HRS), most of these modules blend directly into this curriculum. While our 500Hr focuses more on group teaching with a large emphasis on anatomy, alignment, interoception and mindfulness, our 800Hr program dives deeper into the therapeutic practice of working one on one or in group therapeutic sessions. During the program each student is set up with a mentor to assist with registration and the practical component that begins the second year of the program. The completion of the 800HR and 200HR equals 1000HR training in total.
Michele Theoret will work individually with each student to plan and confirm the tentative curriculum, schedule and program length for each student as well as an approved mentor that best suits each individual students goals.
Each module may be registered for individually or you may choose to enroll in the complete program and pay in full or through one of our flexible payment plans. The entire program may be completed in 2-4 years.
We will work individually with each student to determine a pace, schedule and payment plan that is comfortable. As modules tend to fill up fast and class size is limited we recommend registering in modules 2-3 months in advance. Unless you have registered and paid for the entire program in advance spaces are not held or guaranteed.
The payment plan and registration details will be provided in each individual enrolment agreement.
Curriculum (2 year program sample)
Courses are offered once per calendar year. A personalized schedule will be carefully crafted for each individual student in the Yoga Therapy program with the assistance of the director and mentor. This will ensure a pace that is comfortable, affordable and appropriate for each individual student.
2 YEAR PROGRAM Course Flow Sample
** This year focuses on theory and foundation. The competencies and learning outcomes developed in year 1 create the foundation and background knowledge necessary to be successful in the year 2 curriculum.
- Advanced Anatomy 1: Joint Communities
- Enlighten: Fascia, myo-fascial meridians and movement
- Advanced Yoga Philosophy
- Mind-Body-Energy: The Brain and Beyond
- Postures to Prayers: Asana refinement, modifications and deeper meaning
- Movement Medicine: Intelligent Sequencing
- Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- Yoga for Athletes
- Yoga and Aging
- Restorative Yoga
- Yoga Nidra
*Modules are 25Hr weekend and week intensives
**This year focuses on the practical application of Yoga as Therapy. The Yoga Therapy courses will be limited to 12 students per year
- Integrated Yoga & Wellness 1
- Integrated Yoga & Wellness 2
- Integrated Yoga & Wellness 3
- Integrated Yoga & Wellness 4
- Pain Care Yoga
- Yin, Prenatal or other electives
- 150Hrs Practicum
- 50 HRS research project
Tuition (approximate depending on when you completed modules prices may be different)
16 X 25HR Weekend Modules $500 per module $8000
Elective modules (aprox depending on course) $2500
Practicum and Mentor fee $500
Total Tuition Cost $12,500.00 (payment plans are available)
Estimated cost of additional books and supplies $500-$700